Anaesthetics are used to prevent pain and discomfort during tests and surgical operations. There are two types of anaesthetics: local and general anaesthetics.
Local anaesthetics may be used if you are having a minor procedure. A small area of the body is numbed and you are conscious.
A general anaesthetic is used if you are undergoing a serious operation and you'd be completely unconscious.
What we do
- Provide care before and after surgery
- Assess the risks of different procedures against the benefit, ensuring you are included in that discussion
- We work with the Intensive Care Unit to look after extremely unwell patients and those who need close observation
- We work alongside the Emergency Department doctors to resuscitate patients coming into ED
- Provide pain control for child birth in addition to providing a pain control service at PAH
01279 82 7011