Anaesthetics are used to prevent pain and discomfort during tests and surgical operations.
Anaesthetics are used to prevent pain and discomfort during tests and surgical operations. There are two types of anaesthetics: local and general anaesthetics.
Local anaesthetics may be used if you are having a minor procedure. A small area of the body is numbed and you are conscious.
A general anaesthetic is used if you are undergoing a serious operation and you'd be completely unconscious.
What we do
- Provide care before and after surgery
- Assess the risks of different procedures against the benefit, ensuring you are included in that discussion
- We work with the Intensive Care Unit to look after extremely unwell patients and those who need close observation
- We work alongside the Emergency Department doctors to resuscitate patients coming into ED
- Provide pain control for child birth in addition to providing a pain control service at PAH
01279 82 7011