Equality, diversity and inclusion
We are committed to eliminating discrimination and promoting equality and diversity in everything we do. The service we provide is fair, accessible and appropriate for our patients, their carers and our visitors.
We recognise that, as a prominent employer and service provider in west Essex and Hertfordshire, we have an important role to play in our wider community. We draw on our diverse staff, their backgrounds and their varied life experiences to help us build and sustain an inclusive environment to work and receive care.
What do we mean by equality?
The Equality Act 2010 states that NHS organisations have a 'general equality duty' to promote equality. They must:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation and any other conduct that is prohibited by the Equality Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- Foster good relations between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and those who do not share it
- The general equality duty covers the following protected characteristics:
- Gender reassignment
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Race - this includes ethnic or national origins, colour or nationality
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
You can read more about the Equality Act 2010 here.
Modern slavery statement 2020-21
Please refer to our modern slavery statement here.
Equality, diversity and inclusion statement
Please refer to our equality, diversity and inclusion statement here.
You can also read our equality delivery system 2 document (2017) here.
Please also refer to our equality, diversity and inclusion Annual Report 2020-21 here.
Gender pay gap reports
Workforce Disability Equality Standard (WDES) report - 2019
Workforce Disability Equality Standard (WDES) report - 2020
Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) report - 2019
Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) report - 2020
Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) report - 2021
Equality Delivery System for the NHS EDS2 summary report
You can access the report here.