The Maternal and Fetal Assessment Unit was opened in February 2004. It is a modern well equipped unit which is situated next to the Antenatal Clinic and Maternity Scanning Department.
Women, over 22 week’s gestation, who develop problems in their pregnancy are referred to the unit by their Midwife, Consultant or General Practitioner.
The most common reasons for referral are:
• Raised blood pressure/suspected pre-eclampsia
• Reduction in baby’s movements
• Itching - particularly on hands and feet (suspected obstetric cholestasis)
• Rupture of membranes (waters broken)
• Presentation scans
• Administration of prophylactic Anti-D injection for Rhesus Negative women
The service is lead by one Midwife who is supported by a Maternity Care Assistant. The Midwife can refer to an Obstetric Consultant and Registrar.
Specific Patient Information
Women are seen by appointment and follow-up appointments are made if required. At times women are asked to wait for blood test results before they are discharged.
If this is the case there is a comfortable waiting area within the unit and the hospital restaurant is situated close to the unit if refreshments are required. There is also a coffee shop within the hospital.
We can be contacted on 01279 444455 Ext: 2945 if you require further information about this service.